Monday, June 21, 2010

Episode 15 | "Under God's Wide, Wide Sky"


Welcome to Tony Tost’s America. My names is Tony Tost, and this is my America.

“Down in Tennessee,” John Anderson; “The Randall Knife,” Guy Clark; “Stagger Lee,” Champion Jack Dupree; “Look Again to the Wind,” Peter La Farge; “Folsom Prison Blues,” Slim Harpo; “Papa Why Don’t You Stop Drinking,” Lonnie Glosson; “He Will Set Your Fields on Fire,” Kitty Wells

David Koresh discusses Amy Grant and the inner violence of music

“I’m On Fire,” Charles Manson; “Arkansas State Prison,” Bobby Womack

Laurel & Hardy are headed to Dixie

“There’s No Disappointment In Heaven,” Bob Wills; “Time Will Tell,” The Black Crowes; “Lonesome Jailhouse Blues,” Aunt Molly Jackson; “Whoopee Ti Yi Yo,” Karen Dalton

CS Giscombe emits a monster

“Saddle My Pony,” Howlin’ Wolf; “Every Time I Hear the Rain a-Fallin’,” Jimmy Driftwood; “Bugs,” Bobbie Gentry; “Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes,” Paul Robeson

Rudy Ray Moore finds some sugar on a corner

“Black Night,” Bobby Bland; “Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel,” Townes Van Zandt

John Wayne testifies

“Ghost Riders in the Sky,” Bob Dylan (w/ Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash & the Tennessee Three); “Ruby, Don’t Take Your Love to Town,” Carl Perkins

Alice Notley is a little lost lamb in the heart of the city

“South of Cincinnati,” Dwight Yoakam

Johnny Cash discusses heroics

“Sam Hall,” Tex Ritter; “Streets of Laredo,” Marty Robbins; “Devil’s Son-in-Law,” Peetie Wheatstraw; “Radio Station S-A-V-E-D,” Roy Acuff.

Go here to subscribe and have each episode delivered automatically to your iTunes (or other player).

2 comments:

  1. I am a little behind on listening to your shows. Let me say that I found some very profound themes on this one. I especially appreciate your inclusion of There's No Disappointment in Heaven. It is one of the most beautiful songs ever in my opinion.

    As an aside, I have to mention that when I started your show the beginning of the John Anderson song led me to believe that it was going to be a version of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. I am not sure how I feel about that.

    Keep up the great work!

    Harlan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks Harlan! Yeah, I was listening to "There's No Disappointment in Heaven" on repeat while jogging the other night (I'm a very slow runner, so it's about the right speed), and just couldn't get over its beauty: ethereal, self-aware, yearning. A pretty unique combo.

    I would pay maybe 30 dollars to hear vintage John Anderson covering Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds -- I sure wish he'd had a little better material when he was at his peak. He sounds nothing like George Jones on "Down in Tennessee," but he shows a Possum-like ability to wrench maximum emotion from a song that on the page is pretty slight and only halfway clever.

    ReplyDelete